Are you passionate about technology? Do you want to share your knowledge with the world? If so, starting a tech blog may be the perfect way for you to do just that!
This guide will provide tips and tricks for beginners who are looking to start a tech blog. We will cover everything from choosing a topic to set up your own website.
So, whether you’re a complete beginner or just looking for some additional advice, read this guide on how to start a tech blog and make it successful!
What Do You Write in a Technology Blog?
You can blog about anything related to technology, from the newest gadgets to the hottest startups. You can offer tips and tricks or write reviews of products. You can even write about your own tech experiences.
No matter what you write about, keep these tips in mind:
- Ensure you have something interesting to say. There’s no point in writing a blog if you don’t have anything new or insightful to share with your readers.
- Try to be unique. There are already a lot of tech blogs out there, so try to find your own niche.
- Don’t forget to promote your blog! Use social media, email marketing, digital marketing, and other channels to get the word out about your blog.
With that said, let’s get into how to start a tech blog.
How to Start a Tech Blog in 7 steps?
- Pick a topic or niche
- Choose a blogging platform & domain name
- Pick your web hosting provider
- Set up your website – Themes & Plugins
- Create your first tech post
- Promote your tech blog
- Monetize your tech blog
Now, let’s see how to go about following each step.
1. Picking a Topic or Tech Niche
One of the most important aspects of starting your own blog is choosing a topic. This may seem daunting as it is a very broad niche, but it doesn’t have to be!
The best way to choose a topic is to consider what you’re passionate about and what you want your blog to be known for.
For example, if you’re particularly interested in consumer electronics, you might want to focus your blog on product reviews or unboxing videos.
Alternatively, if you’re more interested in enterprise technology, you could write about tech industry news or provide tips for businesses that are looking to implement new technologies.
Narrow down your focus:
Once you’ve decided on a general topic for your blog, it’s also essential to narrow down your focus. This will help you appeal to a specific audience and make your blog more successful.
For example, rather than starting a general tech blog, you could start a blog that focuses on mobile app development or web design.
By narrowing your focus, you can become the go-to source for information on your chosen topic, which will help you attract readers who are interested in what you have to say.
Examples of some Tech Blog Topics:
- Mobile app development
- Web design
- Tech tutorials
- Product reviews
- Unboxing videos
- Tech repair blog
- Tech news blog
- Trending tech tips for businesses
2. Choosing a Blogging Platform & Domain Name
Now that you’ve chosen a topic for your blog, it’s time to choose a platform and your own domain name.
There are many different and free blogging platforms to choose from, but we recommend WordPress as it is one of the most user-friendly options (plus, it’s free!).
Once you’ve selected a platform, you’ll need to choose a domain name for your blog. Again, this should be something memorable and relevant to your blog’s topic.
For example, if you’re starting a mobile app development blog, you might want to include the word “app” in your domain name.
Some examples of popular tech bloggers that use WordPress are The Next Web (thenextweb.com) and Gizmodo (gizmodo.com).
Tips for Choosing the Right Domain Name
- It should be relevant to your blog’s topic
- It should be short and easy to remember
- It shouldn’t be too similar to an existing website
- You should consider buying multiple variations of the domain (e.g., .com, .net, .org) to protect your brand
Where to Buy a Domain to Start a Tech Blog?
We recommend Namecheap but Domain.com is another good option. We have a Domain.com review here on on our blog. You could always just see who is offering the best pricing for your tech blog domain name at the time of purchase.
Tip: If you choose Bluehost to host your tech blog, they are offering a free domain name (for the first year) when you sign up to their WordPress hosting service.
Once you’ve chosen a platform and registered your domain name, you’re ready to set up your blog!
3. Picking a Web Host For Your New Tech Blog
The next step in starting your tech blog is to find a web host. This is the service that will provide you with the space and resources you need to run your website.
There are many different web hosting providers to choose from, but we recommend BlueHost as they offer great features at an affordable price. If you are the type that likes to shop around we also like the following options for blogging.
What Are the Best Web Hosts for a Tech Blog?
- BlueHost – Best Overall. Get a free domain & SSL.
- Hostinger – Great Pricing. Read our Hostinger Review
- HostPapa – A Rising Newcomer.
- SiteGround – Best Support
- DreamHost – Best for VPS or Dedicated Blog Hosting
Once you’ve found a web host that meets your needs, you can register your domain name with them and set up your blog.
Some of the features you should look for in a web host include:
- Reliable uptime: You don’t want your website going down when people try to visit it!
- Fast loading speeds: Slow loading times will frustrate visitors and cause them to leave your site.
- Good customer support: If you have any problems with your website, you’ll want to be able to get help from your web host.
- Affordable prices: You don’t want to overspend on web hosting when you’re just starting out.
Once you’ve found a web host and registered your domain name with them, you can start setting up your blog. Bluehost makes it easy with 1-click WordPress installation for free.
WordPress makes it easy to create a professional-looking website without any prior experience. Simply log in to your WordPress account and follow the instructions for creating a new site.
Here is our detailed guide on starting a WordPress blog.
4. Setting up Your Tech Blog – WordPress Themes & Plugins
The first step in setting up your new tech blog is to choose a WordPress theme. There are thousands of free and paid themes available, so take some time to browse through the options and find one that suits your needs.
Once you’ve chosen a WordPress theme and installed any plugins you need, it’s time to start creating content for your blog.
You can use WordPress’ built-in themes and plugins to customize the look and feel of your website.
For example, if you want to add a forum or an online business to your website, you can do so by installing the appropriate plugin.
You can add new posts and pages by logging in to your WordPress account and navigating to the appropriate section.
What Are the Best WordPress Themes for Tech Blogs?
If you’re starting a tech blog, you need to make sure you choose a suitable WordPress theme. There are tons of great premium WordPress themes out there specifically designed for tech blogs.
One of the most popular themes for the tech niche is the “Avada” theme. This theme features a clean and modern design that’s perfect for showcasing your technical content.
It includes a custom homepage layout, multiple post layouts, and a responsive design. It also comes with plenty of helpful features like social media integration and Google Analytics support.
You can find this awesome tech blog theme over on ThemeForest.
Another great option for a new tech blog is the “Newspaper” theme. This theme is perfect for tech bloggers who want to give their blog a stylish and modern look.
It comes with a custom homepage layout, multiple post layouts, and a responsive design. Additionally, it includes features like social media integration and translation support.
Find the popular Newspaper WordPress theme over on ThemeForest.
Startup WordPress Theme
If you’re looking for a free theme, then you should check out the “Startup” theme. You can find this free WordPress tech blog theme here.
The WordPress Startup theme has a clean and minimalist design that’s perfect for a new blog. It includes multiple post layouts and a responsive design.
Additionally, it comes with features like social media integration and customization options.
No matter what type of tech blog you’re starting, there’s sure to be a WordPress theme that’s perfect for you. So take your time in choosing the right one for your blog.
And if you need any help, don’t hesitate to ask for assistance from a WordPress expert. With the perfect theme, your tech blog will be up and running in no time!
Tech Blog WordPress Plugin Recommendations
If you’re looking for some great WordPress plugins to help get your tech blog started, here are a few of our favorites:
- Jetpack: This plugin is a must-have for any WordPress site. It includes features like site stats, security, backup, and more.
- WP Rocket: Will help your tech blog load lightening fast.
- Yoast SEO: This plugin is essential for optimizing your blog articles for search engines.
- Monster Insights: The best WordPress plugin for stats and blog traffic insights.
- WPForms: This powerful plugin lets you create custom forms and surveys for your blog.
Customizing Your Own Tech Blog
Once you’ve selected a theme, you can begin customizing the look and feel of your site.
For example, you can add a header image, change the colors, and select which widgets to display on your homepage.
Simultaneously, you need to create essential pages like Home, About, Contact Us, etc.
We recommend creating an “About” page to introduce yourself to your readers and give them an idea of what your blog is about.
You can also start creating blog posts, adding images and videos, and setting up social media accounts to share your content.
If you’re new to blogging, check out our beginner’s guide to WordPress for more tips on getting started.
Once you’ve customized your site’s appearance, it’s time to add content!
5. Creating Your First Tech Blog Post
Creating great content is essential for any successful blog. So take some time to brainstorm ideas for posts that will be interesting and useful for your readers.
Once you have a few blogging ideas, you can start writing your posts!
Types of Content for Tech Blogging
When it comes to tech blogging, there are many different types of content you can create. These include written posts, videos, infographics, and more.
The type of content you create will depend on your personal preferences as well as the needs of your audience.
No matter what type of content you decide to create, be sure that it is high quality and provides value to your readers.
Important Note – Be sure to proofread your posts before publishing them, as this will help ensure that they are free of errors. You can also use spell checkers and grammar checkers to help with this task. We like Grammarly.
6. Promoting Your Tech Blog
Creating content for your tech blog is only half the battle – you also need to promote your content to get readers. You could become the next big thing in tech blogging- but promotion is key.
Promoting tech blog content can be tricky- but it’s worth it. Here are tips and tricks for newbies on how to start a tech blog and get noticed in the tech blogging community:
- Choose a catchy name and domain for your blog- make sure it’s something unique that will stand out from the rest.
- Design a sleek and professional-looking tech website or blog template- first impressions count!
- Be active on social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, and Google+ to promote your blog content and interact with other tech bloggers.
- Email your subscribers about new blog posts and interact with them.
- Reach out to tech companies, startups, and experts for guest posting opportunities- this is a great way to get your name out there and show off your skills.
- Network at tech events, meetups, and conferences- you never know who you might meet that could help boost your blog’s visibility.
You’re sure to make a splash in the tech blogging world by following these tips!
7. Monetizing your Tech Blog
Monetizing a tech blog can be difficult. However, there are a few ways to go about it.
The most common way is through advertisements. Check out Google Adsense to learn more.
However, ads can be intrusive and turn readers off. If you decide to use ads, make sure they are relevant to your blog’s content and not excessive.
If ad networks aren’t your thing or you want to delve deeper into monetizing your tech blog, affiliate marketing could be for you.
2. Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketing is when you promote products or services related to the technology industry on your blog and earn a commission when someone clicks on the affiliate link and makes a purchase.
For example, let’s say you wrote a post about the best laptops for tech bloggers. You could include an affiliate link to a laptop on Amazon. If someone clicks on that link and buys the laptop, you would earn a commission from Amazon.
One example of an affiliate marketing network is ShareaSale. You should also check out the Amazon affiliate program.
3. Sell Your Own Products & Services
You can also sell products or services directly from your tech blog. This could include e-books, online courses, or consulting services.
For example, let’s say you wrote a post on how to start a tech blog. You could create an e-book with all of your best tips and tricks and then sell it on your blog business. Alternatively, you could offer consulting services to help people start their own tech blogs.
If you have something valuable to offer, there’s no reason why you can’t sell it directly from your tech blog.
Should You Start a Tech Blog?
If you’re passionate about technology, there are many reasons why you might want to start a tech blog.
- For starters, it’s a great way to share your knowledge with others who are interested in learning more about the latest gadgets and trends.
- Additionally, starting a tech blog can be a great way to build your personal brand and grow your professional network.
- And if you’re able to attract a large following, you may even be able to monetize your blog down the road!
No matter what your motives are for wanting to start a tech blog, there’s no doubt that it can be a fun and rewarding experience.
Should tech blogging not be a good fit for you, you could consider starting a travel blog or learning how to start a food blog. Maybe you love fashion, so you decide you want to start a fashion blog instead. The possibilities are endless.
How To Keep Your Tech Blog Interesting?
- Keep it Fresh
One of the most important things you can do to keep your tech blog interesting is to keep it fresh. This means writing new posts on a regular basis and keeping your topics relevant.
You should also try to mix up your content so that you’re not just writing articles all the time. You can include videos, infographics, interviews, and more.
- Interact with your Readers
Another great way to keep your blog fresh is to interact with your readers. Encourage them to leave comments and start discussions.
This will not only make your blog more lively, but it will also help you get feedback and content ideas for new posts.
- Experiment with different formats and styles
Trying new things is one of the best ways to keep your blog interesting, both for you and for your readers. So go ahead and experiment! You never know what you might come up with.
How to Build a Reader Persona for Your Tech Blog?
This is a question that we get asked a lot, and it’s definitely something that you should think about before starting your blog. Who are you writing for? What kind of content will they be interested in?
There’s no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, but here are a few tips to get you started:
- Consider your own interests and tech expertise.
What topics can you write about with authority? This is a great place to start when thinking about who your target reader might be.
- Look at competitor blogs out there and see what kinds of readers they seem to attract.
Identifying a tech niche that isn’t being well served by existing blogs is an excellent opportunity to fill a need with your own blog.
- Think about what you want to get out of blogging.
Do you want to build a personal brand? Drive traffic to your website or product? Establish yourself as an expert in your field? All of these are valid goals, and they can help inform who you target with your content.
Once you have a good sense of who you’re writing for, it’s time to start thinking about what kind of content they’ll be interested in. This will vary depending on your niche, but some general tips include:
- Write posts that are helpful and informative, not self-promotional.
- Share your unique perspective on the latest industry news.
- Offer helpful tips, tutorials, and resources.
- Share your insights on the latest trends and technologies.
By following these tips, you can start to build a strong reader persona for your tech blog that will help you create content that resonates with your target audience.
Keep this in mind as you develop your blog and write new posts, and you’ll be well on your way to success.
How Much Does it Cost to Start a Tech Blog?
Assuming you already have a computer and internet connection, the cost of starting a tech blog is relatively low.
You can easily set up a free blog using one of the various blogging platforms such as WordPress or Blogger.
However, if you want to have your own domain name (e.g., example.com) and more control over your blog’s design and features, you will need to pay for hosting services and a theme.
You can get a free domain and your entire blog setup in a few minutes over on Bluehost. If you select their Choice Plus WordPress hosting plan you cost would be $65.40 for the entire year ($5.45 for 12 months). That’s really affordable!
After you first year, the hosting package will renew at a higher price but at that particular time if your blog isn’t doing well, just cancel.
The average cost of doing this is around $100 per year. Other expenses may depend on the kind of functionality that you want for your tech blog and if you choose to purchase a premium tech blog theme.
What’s The Time Commitment For a Tech Blog?
Starting a tech blog does require some time investment, especially in the beginning when you are setting everything up and writing your first few posts.
Once your blog is established, however, the time commitment can be quite minimal.
For example, if you only want to post once a week, it should only take you a few hours each week to write and publish your article.
What Are the Benefits of Starting a Tech Blog?
There are many benefits to starting a tech blog, including the following:
- Sharing your knowledge and expertise with others
- Helping others learn about new technology and how to use it
- Connecting with other like-minded people from around the world
- Getting feedback and input from others on your ideas and projects
- Having fun and enjoying the creative process!
Plus, with the steps mentioned above, starting a tech blog is relatively easy and can be pretty rewarding.
How Do I Get Content for My Tech Blog?
The answer is actually quite simple: by writing about things that interest you. But, of course, it’s not always that easy.
Since you’re just starting out, you may not have a lot of interests in the tech world – or any world, for that matter. That’s perfectly normal!
Here are a few tips and tricks to help you get started:
- Find your niche – As mentioned earlier, finding a niche will make it much easier to come up with ideas for content.
- Keep it simple – Don’t try to bite off more than you can chew. At the start, it’s best to stick to writing about one or two topics. You can always branch out later on once you’ve established yourself a bit more.
- Be helpful – No one wants to read a blog that isn’t informative or helpful in some way. Write posts that teach your readers something new, or offer them valuable insights into the world of tech.
- Have fun! – Don’t forget, this is supposed to be enjoyable for you too. If you’re not enjoying it, chances are your readers won’t either.
Write about what interests you, and make sure your passion comes through in your writing.
By following these tips, you’ll be well on your way to starting a successful tech blog that people will actually want to read.
How to Optimize a Tech Blog (SEO)?
Now that you’ve started your tech blog, it’s time to start thinking about ways to optimize it for a search engine.
After all, there’s no point in having a blog if no one is going to read it!
Here are a few tips to help you get the most out of your blog:
- Make sure your posts are well-written and free of errors.
This may seem like a no-brainer, but it’s essential nonetheless. No one wants to read a post that is full of typos and grammatical errors. Take the time to proofread your work before hitting “publish.”
- Use images, infographics, and videos.
People are visual creatures, and they’re more likely to engage with visual content. In addition to images, you can also use infographics and videos to break up your text and add another layer of interest to your posts.
- Utilize social media platforms.
Social media is a great way to promote your blog and reach a wider audience. Make sure you’re active on all the major platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) and that you’re sharing each new post as soon as it goes live.
- Engage with your readers. The whole point of having a blog is to start a conversation with your readers. So make sure you’re responding to comments and questions in a timely manner. The more engaged you are with your audience, the more likely they are to keep coming back for more!
Quick Tip: MonsterInsights and Yoast SEO plugin for WordPress blogs are two invaluable WordPress plugins that can help with your tech blogs SEO.
Essential Tools for Tech Bloggers
There are a few tools that every tech blogger should have in their toolkit. Here are a few of the most important ones:
- A good grammar checker: This is essential for making sure your posts are error-free. We recommend Grammarly, which is free and easy to use.
- A reliable spell checker: Another must-have for any writer, a spell checker will help you avoid those pesky typos. We like to use the built-in spell checker in Microsoft Word.
- A social media scheduling tool: Social media marketing is a great way to promote your blog, but it can be time-consuming if you’re doing it manually. A scheduling tool like Hootsuite or Buffer will allow you to schedule your posts in advance.
- An SEO plugin: Search engine optimization is vital for helping people find your blog. I recommend using the Yoast SEO plugin, which is free and easy to use.
By having these tools in your toolkit, you’ll be well on your way to becoming a good tech blogger!
Essential Google Tools for Tech Bloggers
If you’re thinking about starting a tech blog, there are some essential Google tools that you should be aware of.
These tools can help you with everything from keyword research to site analysis and more.
Here are some of the most important search engine tools by Google for tech bloggers:
This is a must-have tool for any serious blogger as it lets you track your website’s organic traffic and see where your readers are coming from.
You can use this data to improve your blog’s content and make sure you’re reaching your target audience.
- Google AdSense or AdWords:
These tools are a great way to generate revenue from your tech blog.
By placing ads on your site, you can earn money every time someone clicks on an ad.
Google AdSense and AdWords can also be used to drive traffic to your blog.
This is a valuable tool for any tech news blogger who wants to improve their site’s ranking in search engines.
Google Search Console (formerly Google Webmaster Tools) provides you with data about your website’s performance in the search results and lets you submit your sitemap to Google.
This keyword research tool lets you find the trending keywords to write about.
You can use this information to create content that is relevant to your readers and helps you attract more organic traffic.
How to Start a Tech Blog FAQs
Now, let’s look at some questions that you might have:
1. I’m not a tech expert. Can I still start a tech blog?
Of course! You don’t have to be a tech expert to start a tech blog. In fact, there are many successful tech bloggers who are passionate about technology but don’t consider themselves experts.
2. What are some tips for maintaining a tech blog?
Here are a few tips:
- Pick a niche and focus on writing about that one specific area.
- Keep your posts short and sweet – no one wants to read an essay!
- Write in layman’s terms – remember, you’re writing for people who might not be as tech-savvy as you are.
- Keep enhancing your writing skills.
- Use images, infographics, and videos to break up your text and make your posts more visually appealing.
- Share your posts on social media platforms and other relevant online communities.
3. Is it essential to write on a particular niche?
One of the most important things to consider when starting a tech blog is your niche. Here’s why:
There are literally thousands of different topics that you could choose from, so it’s essential to narrow down your focus.
Do you want to write about consumer technology? Or perhaps you’re more interested in enterprise technology?
Once you’ve decided on your tech niche, it will be much easier to come up with content ideas and target your audience.
4. How often should I update my tech blog?
There’s no set answer to this question – it really varies depending on the niche you’re writing in and how much new content is being published in that area.
That said, most successful tech bloggers publish new content at least once a week.
5. What are some of the most popular tech blogs?
Some of the most popular tech blogs include Mashable, TechCrunch, Gizmodo, Engadget, and The Next Web.
6. Where can I find more info on tech blogging?
If you’re still not sure if starting a tech blog is right for you, there are plenty of resources out there that can help you make your decision.
Check out some of the other blogs (listed above) and see what they’re doing right – and wrong.
You can also read articles on how to start a food blog or a travel blog – just make sure to tailor the advice to fit a tech blog precisely. You can take up any free blogging course too.
We hope this has helped answer some of your questions about starting a tech blog!
How To Start a Tech Blog – Final Thoughts
If you’re serious about starting a tech blog, these tips will hopefully help you get started on the right foot. Remember, it takes time and effort to build a successful blog.
But if you’re passionate about technology and helping others, it’s definitely worth it. So what are you waiting for? Start writing! Good luck – we know you’ll be great at it. 🙂
Get Your Tech Blog Started Today With Bluehost
Do you have any other tips on how to start a tech blog? Share them in the comments below!