In this blogging guide, you’ll learn the step-by-step process of how to start a blog on WordPress in just 6 main steps. We’ll be covering choosing a blog host, WordPress installation, setting up your blog’s basic settings, installing themes, and WordPress plugins. Let’s get started.
Okay, so you have decided that you want to join the millions of people already blogging away online. But where do you even begin? If you are feeling a little overwhelmed, don’t worry!
Starting a blog on WordPress can be fun and the basics to get started are actually pretty easy. Blogging can also be a very profitable online business.
So whether you’re a complete beginner or just need a refresher course, read on for all the info you need to create a successful WordPress blog!
Why Start a Blog?
Before we get into the nitty-gritty of how to start a WordPress blog, let’s take a step back and ask ourselves: why start a blog in the first place?
For many people, blogging is a way to share their passions and interests with the world. It’s also a great way to connect with like-minded people and build an audience around your ideas.
So, once you’ve decided that starting a blog is indeed the right move for you, it’s time to get started on how to start a WordPress blog site!
WordPress is an open-source content management system (CMS) that enables users to create a blog or website from scratch or improve an existing site.
How to Start a Blog on WordPress: Step-by-Step Guide
The thought of starting your own blog is scary, particularly for those who are less tech savvy.
However, it’s easy to build websites and get your blog up and running with blogging platforms like WordPress.
Here’s what we’ll cover in this guide:
- Choosing a Domain Name and Web Hosting Provider
- Installing WordPress on your web server
- Choosing a WordPress Theme for your blog
- Installing WordPress Plugins
- Configuring your blog’s settings and appearance
- Start creating content that matters!
1. Choosing a Domain Name & WordPress Web Hosting Provider For Your Blog
Choose A Domain Name
The first step to getting started blogging on WordPress is to choose whether you want a free domain name or to buy your own domain through Namecheap or from other providers.
Typically a domain name isn’t free but Bluehost is offering a free domain name for the first year when you try their WordPress web hosting service. Bluehost is also one of our best web hosting service picks. We’ll cover more on the best blog hosting options in the next section. For now, let’s get back to the topic of choosing a domain name.
Your domain name is your blog’s web address on the internet, and it’s what people will use to find your site. (e.g., mysite.com).
So try to choose something that is memorable and reflective of the content you’ll be sharing on your personal blog.
Which Domain Name Provider Is Best?
- Namecheap is our favorite domain name registrar that also offers free WHOIS privacy, free DNS service, and free URL forwarding. You can read our Namecheap review on our blog.
- Domain.com is another great option for those who are looking for a cheap domain name. They offer free WHOIS privacy, free URL forwarding, and free email forwarding. Read our Domain.com review.
- BlueHost can help you with the installation of your WordPress blog (in fact with one click installation) and also gives you a free domain for the first year. You also get a free SSL Certificate. This offer is only available if you host your WordPress blog with them.
- GoDaddy offers a number of features that make buying and managing your blog domain easy, such as private registration, an excellent customer service team, and automatic renewals. Having said that, I personally don’t like all the upsells and we recommend Namecheap instead.
How to Choose a Good Domain Name?
Once you have selected a domain name provider, you will need to purchase your domain name. When choosing a domain name for your WordPress blog, there are a few things to keep in mind.
- Try to choose a name that is short, easy to remember, and relevant to the topic of your blog.
- Avoid using numbers or hyphens, as these can be difficult for people to remember.
- Try to choose a .com domain extension if possible, as this is the most common and familiar for people. Yes, we went with a .io domain for this blog but we think it’s appropriate for this informational website. Typically .io domains are for technology related or app websites.
After you have purchased your domain name, you will need to set up DNS (Domain Name System) records with your provider.
DNS is what tells the internet where your website is located. If you’re not sure how to do this, most providers offer WordPress tutorials or support services that can help you get started.
Select A Web Hosting Provider For Your Blog
When you buy a domain, you’ll also need to find a hosting provider. This is basically where your website will live on the internet.
A good hosting provider will offer features such as security, speed, and customer support. They will also make it easy to install WordPress (in the next section).
How To Select A Good WordPress Website Host?
When selecting a WordPress website host, consider these three things.
- Cost of the hosting service – You don’t want to spend too much money on a hosting plan, but you also don’t want to select a free host that doesn’t offer good quality service.
- Amount of storage space and bandwidth that the host provides – If you plan to have a lot of content on your WordPress website, you will need a hosting plan that can provide you with plenty of storage space and bandwidth.
- Customer Support Quality – Ensure that the host offers good customer support in case you have any problems with your WordPress website.
What are the Best WordPress Hosting Services?
Here are some popular user-friendly hosts that offer great WordPress hosting services:
These are all great companies that offer quality hosting for starting a blog on WordPress.
Choosing the right WordPress hosting plan can make a big difference in how successful your blog will be. We recommend using Bluehost as your web hosting provider. Hostinger is another good choice and you can read our Hostinger reviews for more info on their blog hosting plans.
They are one of the largest and most popular providers in the world and an official WordPress partner too.
Get started with a Bluehost web hosting account (with a free domain and free SSL).
Once you’ve chosen a domain name and blog hosting provider, you can get started setting up your site and sharing your passion with the world!
2. Installing a WordPress Blog on your Web Server
Now that you have a domain name and hosting provider, it’s time to install WordPress! This is much easier than it sounds.
Your web host will allow you to install WordPress automatically in most cases.
Some web hosting companies also offer a “one-click” WordPress installation process that takes care of everything.
If you’re using Bluehost, simply log into your account and navigate to the “WordPress” section of your Web hosting control panel.
From there, you can start installing WordPress software with just a few clicks.
The installer will prompt you for your database information, and then it will create the necessary tables and files.
Once you have created the database, you’ll need to edit the wp-config.php file and enter the database information.
After the installation is complete, you will be able to log into your WordPress Dashboard.
While this might sound somewhat difficult if you have never installed a WordPress blog, it is actually pretty straight forward. If you have any issues, the web hosts we recommended in this post all have good support and can get you up and running very quickly.
Setting Up Your WordPress Blog
Now that WordPress is installed on your site, it’s time to set up your blog. The first thing you’ll need to do is log into the admin area of your site (yoursite.com/wp-admin).
This is where you can manage all aspects of your blog. This includes things like choosing a theme, adding plugins, and configuring your settings.
Navigating WordPress Dashboard
Now that you have installed and logged in to WordPress, it is time to take a look at the WordPress dashboard.
When you log in to your new WordPress blog, the first thing you will see is the Dashboard. This is where you will create and manage your content.
From the Dashboard, you can add new posts and pages, add media like images and videos, manage comments, install plugins, and much more.
On the left-hand side is the main navigation menu. From here, you can access all of the features and settings for your website.
If you are new to WordPress, then take some time to explore and familiarize yourself with all of the different options available to you.
Don’t worry if it all seems a bit overwhelming at first. Just take some time to explore and experiment, and you’ll soon get the hang of it.
3. Choosing WordPress Theme For Your Blog
One of the key benefits of WordPress is the vast array of themes available for download.
These themes can be used to change the look and feel of a website with just a few clicks, and there are themes available for almost any type of site, from businesses to personal blogs.
We recommend picking a simple theme that is easy to use and customize. You can always change your theme later if you want to try something different.
While some WordPress users elect to design their own theme, others prefer to purchase or download a ready-made premium theme.
Whichever route you choose, the wide selection of WordPress themes means that you can create a unique and professional-looking website without the need for complex coding.
Default WordPress Themes
There are several default WordPress themes to choose from, including:
- Twenty Seventeen – This is a default theme designed for blogs and small businesses. It has a modern look and lots of features, including a custom header image feature and support for WooCommerce.
- Twenty Sixteen – This is a versatile, responsive theme perfect for blogs, businesses, and portfolios. It has a flexible layout that looks great on any device and includes support for featured images, post formats, and custom headers.
- Twenty Fifteen – This simple, minimalist theme is perfect for bloggers and small businesses. It has a clean design and plenty of features, including support for custom headers, post formats, and menus.
Pros And Cons Of The Default WordPress Theme
Pros: On the plus side, default themes are usually kept up-to-date with the latest WordPress version.
This means they’re less likely to have compatibility issues that could cause your site to break. Default themes are also usually well-coded and follow WordPress coding standards.
Cons: On the downside, default themes can be somewhat generic and “blah” in terms of design. If you want a truly unique site, you’ll likely need to look elsewhere.
Additionally, because default themes are so popular, they’re often targeted by hackers. This means you need to be extra vigilant about keeping your site secure if you use a default theme.
So, should you use a default WordPress theme?
It really depends on your individual needs and preferences. For example, if you want a simple, clean site that is easy to maintain, a default theme might be a good option.
But if you’re looking for something more unique or are willing to put in a bit more work to keep your site secure, you might want to explore other themes.
Based on our research and experience, the best marketplace for purchasing premium WordPress themes for your blog is ThemeForest by Envato.
If you want to use a default WordPress theme but want to customize it to fit your needs, there are several ways to do this.
For example, you can modify the theme’s CSS or use a child theme to make changes to the theme without affecting the original code. You can also add plugins to add features and functionality to your site.
How To Choose The Right WordPress Theme?
There are literally thousands of themes to choose from. That can be both a good thing and a bad thing.
On the one hand, it gives you a lot of choice and flexibility when it comes to designing your website.
But, on the other hand, it can be overwhelming trying to figure out which theme is the right one for you.
You can either choose a free theme or opt for a premium theme for your brand-new blog.
Here, we will look at some things you should consider when choosing a WordPress theme.
- What is your budget?
This is an important question to ask yourself because it will help narrow down your options.
Of course, there are some great free themes out there, but if you are planning to spend some bucks, you can search for some premium themes for blogging. The nice thing about purchasing a WordPress theme is that you can often find one with a specific setup for your blogging needs.
- What is the purpose of your website?
Is your website going to be a blog? A portfolio? A business website? The answer to this question will help you determine what kind of features you need in a theme.
For example, if you’re going to be running a blog, you’ll want a theme that has built-in blogging features (such as post formats, social sharing buttons, etc.).
- What kind of design are you looking for?
This is where things can get a little tricky because it’s hard to find a theme that has everything you want.
Sometimes you have to compromise on certain design elements, but that’s okay. Just make sure that the theme’s overall design is something you’re happy with.
- Does the theme come with support?
This is an important question to ask because not all themes come with support. If something goes wrong with your theme, it’s nice to know that you can contact the developer and get some help.
- How easy are WordPress themes to use?
You don’t want to spend hours trying to figure out how to use your WordPress theme for blogging. Instead, look for an easy-to-use theme that comes with documentation or tutorials.
Remember, there are thousands of themes out there, so don’t be afraid to spend some time looking around until you find the perfect one for you.
How To Install WordPress Themes?
- On the left-hand side of your WordPress dashboard, you will see a menu with different options. Click on the “Appearance” option and then click on “Themes.”
- On this page, you will see a list of all the available themes. If you want to use a paid theme, you can purchase it from a theme marketplace.
- Once you have downloaded the theme file, you need to unzip it and then upload it to your WordPress site. To do this, go back to the “Appearance” page and click on “Add New.”
- Then click on “Upload Theme” and select the file from your computer. Once the file has been uploaded, you need to activate the theme.
- To do this, go back to the “Appearance” page and click on “Themes.” Next, find the theme you just installed in the list and click on the “Activate” button.
How to further customize your WordPress theme?
Designing the theme using an online template or modifying it through the WordPress customizing tool is possible.
In addition, the interface allows you to tweak your site’s themes without learning HTML code. Therefore, themes or coding knowledge is not required.
You can access this option through Appearance>Customize. Depending upon the theme you select, you will be presented with a different option in the left-hand menu.
If you have not checked out Envato Elements, it provides a wealth of tools and resources that can help you in the customization and design of your blog.
Now, it’s time to install the plugins and configure your site settings.
Installing WordPress Plugins
The next thing you need to do is find WordPress plugins. WordPress has a huge plugin repository with over 55,000 plugins.
That can be overwhelming, but don’t worry; we will only be installing a few free.
Best WordPress Plugins For Beginning Bloggers
Here is a list of some essential WordPress plugins that every beginner should install on their blog:
- Jetpack: This plugin is developed by WordPress and comes with a ton of features, including social media integration, security, and more. It’s really the all-in-one plugin for WordPress sites.
- WP Rocket: A slow website speed can hurt your blog’s search rankings on Google. We suggest installing this WordPress plugin that will optimize your website for speed. You can read our in-depth WP Rocket review here.
- Monster Insights: If you are looking for one of the best premium blog traffic analytics plugins for WordPress you need to check out Monster Insights.
- RankMath Pro: This plugin is essential for optimizing your blog posts for SEO. It helps you to add the right keywords and metadata to your posts to rank higher in search results.
Yoast SEO is also popular but we prefer RankMath, It allows for easy Schema setup. You can read our full Rank Math review on our blog.
- WPForms: This plugin lets you create custom forms and surveys for your WordPress blog. It’s a great way to gather feedback from your readers or build a mailing list.
- Contact Form DB: This plugin stores all the data from your contact forms in a database so you can view it later. It’s useful for keeping track of leads or customer inquiries.
- WooCommerce: This plugin adds eCommerce functionality to your WordPress site. Don’t install this plugin if you don’t need it because it can slow your blog’s loading time. Only install WooCommerce if you plan to sell your own products on your WordPress blog.
Most of these are free plugins. You can also select their advanced paid plan in the future.
These free plugins will help you to get the most out of your WordPress blog and make it more successful.
How To Install WordPress Plugins?
- Again coming to the left side of your Dashboard, hover over the “Plugins” menu item in the left sidebar and click on the “Add New” link.
- On the next page, you can either search for a plugin by keyword or browse through the Featured, Popular, and Newest plugins.
- When you find a plugin that you want to install, simply click on the “Install Now” button.
- After the plugin has been installed, you will need to activate it before it can start being used on your blog.
- To do this, simply click on the “Activate Plugin” link under the plugin name.
And that’s it! You have now successfully installed a WordPress plugin. Now let’s move on to configuring WordPress settings.
Configuring Your WordPress Blog’s Settings and Appearance
In the WordPress dashboard, go to Appearance > Customize > Menus and create your website’s primary navigation menu.
Finally, take some time to adjust your settings. There are a few things you need to do to configure your WordPress website.
This includes things like configuring your permalinks (i.e., how your URLs are structured), setting up an RSS feed, and adding Google Analytics to track your traffic.
Choose A Language
The first thing you need to do is choose a language for your site.
WordPress is available in over 70 languages, so you should be able to find one that suits you. Once you have chosen a language, you can start filling out your profile information.
Set Up RSS Feed Settings
The next thing you need to do is set up your RSS feed settings.
This will allow people to subscribe to your posts and receive updates when you publish new content.
To do this, go to the RSS tab in the Settings menu and enter the following information:
- Feed URL: The URL of your RSS feed
- Description: A short description of your site
- Email Address: Your email address (optional)
Then click Save Changes.
Set Up Your WordPress Permalinks
The next step is to set up your WordPress blog permalinks. Permalinks are the URLs for your blog posts and pages.
By default, WordPress uses an ugly URL structure, but you can change it to something more user-friendly, like /%postname%/.
Add Google Analytics to Your WordPress Site
If you’re serious about making money from your WordPress site, then you need to track your traffic and conversions with Google Analytics.
Google Analytics is a free service that gives you insights into how your visitors find and use your site. Adding Google Analytics to WordPress is simple.
- First, you need to create a Google Analytics account and get your Tracking ID.
- Then, you can either add the tracking code to your theme’s header file or install a WordPress analytics plugin like MonsterInsights that will do it for you.
Once you have added the tracking code to your site, pat yourself on the back! As mentioned the easiest route is with the use of a WordPress plugin.
You’re now ready to start gathering data about your traffic and conversions. Use this data to improve your site and make more money from your WordPress blog.
Start Creating Blog Content That Matters
Creating content can be tough. It’s a lot harder than most people think to sit down and just start writing something that’s interesting, useful, or both.
Creating content is the only way to attract visitors and earn traffic to your blog in the first place.
That’s why it’s so important to focus on creating quality content from the very beginning.
Of course, not all of your posts will be world-changing, but if you can at least aim for something that is informative or entertaining, you’ll be well on your way to building a successful blog.
How to create a WordPress blog post & publish it?
Creating a new blog post or a page is pretty straightforward.
- Log in to your WordPress and navigate to the Dashboard to create a new post.
- In the left-hand sidebar, you should see an option labeled “Posts.” Click on this.
- On the resulting page, you will see a button labeled “Add New.”
- Clicking on this will take you to a page where you can input the title and content of your blog post.
- Once you’re satisfied with what you’ve written, simply hit the “Publish” button, and your post will go live for the world to see.
- Similarly, you can create a new page as well.
How to create blog content that matters?
Here are a few tips:
Find your niche: Before you can start writing quality content, you need to know who your audience is. What are they interested in? What kind of information are they looking for? Once you’ve answered these questions, you can start creating content that is tailored to their needs.
Be original: There’s nothing wrong with taking inspiration from other bloggers, but it’s important to make sure you add your own twist. Bring something new to the table that your readers won’t be able to find anywhere else.
Make it valuable: Every piece of content you create should offer some value to your readers. Whether it’s helpful advice, an interesting perspective, or just a good laugh, make sure that there’s something in it for them.
Put in the effort: Creating quality content takes time and effort. There’s no way around it. If you’re not willing to put in the work, you shouldn’t expect to see any results.
So if you’re serious about starting blogging, you need to be serious about creating quality content.
It’s the only way to attract visitors and achieve your goals. So get out there and start writing something that matters!
Tips For Your First WordPress Blog Post
Now that your WordPress website is set up and running, it’s time to start writing your first blog post. Here are some tips to help you with new blog post ideas.
Type of Content to publish on your blog
- The content you write should consist of both dynamic content and static content.
- Your website must be structured with specific pages intended for your visitors.
- The static website should be ready well before launching your website into the world.
Writing Your First Blog Post
Of course, there’s much more to writing an amazing post than just hitting the publish button. Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Start by brainstorming ideas for your first blog post.
Create a captivating post title to attract the visitor and encourage clicking. Choose a topic that you’re passionate about. This will make writing your blog posts much easier and more enjoyable.
- Create an outline of what you want to write about before starting your actual post.
This will help keep you focused and ensure that your post is well organized. If you’re not used to writing long-form content, starting with a shorter post is perfectly fine.
- Use images, infographics, and videos to break up your text and add visual interest to your posts.
If you’re unsure where to find good visuals, there are plenty of free stock photo websites that can provide you with images (just be sure to check the licensing terms before using them).
- Be sure to proofread your posts before publishing them.
Typos and grammatical errors can make your blog look unprofessional. Nothing looks worse than spelling and grammar mistakes in a blog post! We are big fans of Grammarly to reduce spelling mistakes and grammar mistakes. I am using Grammarly right now as I’m writing this post about starting a blog.
- Finally, don’t be afraid to promote your blog posts on social media.
This will help get them in front of a larger audience and drive traffic back to your site.
That’s it! You’re now ready to start writing your first blog post. Remember to keep these tips in mind, and you’ll be well on your way to becoming a blogging pro.
You can add images and videos to your posts and pages by using the Add Media button. This button is located above the post editor on both the Posts and Pages screens.
Clicking it will open up a popup window where you can upload or select files from your computer and insert media from online sources like YouTube or Flickr.
Adding Media to WordPress Blogs
One of the great things about WordPress is that it makes it easy to add media to your posts and pages. You can add images, videos, and audio files to your WordPress site with just a few clicks.
WordPress has you covered whether you’re looking to add images, videos, or audio files. Let’s look at some of the different ways you can add media to your site.
Adding Images, Videos & Audios to Your Blog
Adding images to your blog post:
- Simply click on the “Add Media” button above the editor when creating a new post or page.
- This will open up the WordPress media library, where you can upload or select images from your computer.
- Once you’ve selected the image(s) you want to add, you can insert them into your post or page by clicking on the “Insert into post” button.
Adding images to the WordPress Editor:
- You can also add images by using the “Add Image” button in the Editor.
- This will let you select an image from your computer or the media library.
- Once you’ve selected the image, you can insert it into your post or page by clicking on the “Insert into post” button.
You can use the same procedure to add videos and audio too.
How To Embed YouTube Videos in Your WordPress Blog
Adding YouTube links to a WordPress blog is a great way to share your favorite videos with your readers.
You can add YouTube links to your posts and pages using the WordPress Editor or embed the video into your post.
To embed a YouTube link to a WordPress blog:
- Copy the URL of the YouTube video you want to share.
- Paste the URL into the WordPress editor.
- Click on the “Insert/edit link” icon in the toolbar (it looks like a chain link).
- Paste the URL into the “URL” field.
- Click on the “Target” drop-down menu and select “_blank.” This will ensure that your readers are taken to a new page when they click on the link.
- Click on the “Add Link” button.
Your YouTube link will now be added/embedded to your WordPress blog! You can repeat these steps to add as many YouTube links as possible.
How Much Does it Cost to Start a Blog with WordPress?
WordPress is a free blogging platform but there are some costs associated with setting up a self-hosted WordPress blog.
For example, you may want to purchase a custom domain name or hire a designer to create a custom theme for your blog. You pay want to purchase a premium WordPress blog template or decide on a paid WordPress plugin.
So while it’s possible to start a WordPress blog for very little money, there are four main expenses you may want to consider in the long run.
- Domain name & hosting
- A WordPress theme
- Plugins and other tools
- Ongoing maintenance costs
Let’s take a look at each of these in turn.
What’s The Cost of a Domain Name and Hosting?
Prices for domain name are typically about $15 per year but the cost can vary a lot depending on which TLDs you choose. For example, here is a chart with the current domain pricing from Namecheap. Keep in mind that the prices in orange are the sale price and not the price when it comes up for renewal each year.
The cost for hosting your WordPress blog can vary widely – anywhere from about $50-$150 per year on average. However, you can avoid the first year cost of a domain name by setting up your blog with BlueHost.
Your blog hosting costs should remain on the lower side if you are just starting out. Your hosting could increase if your blog starts to take off and you are getting a ton of website traffic. Having said that, if that is one of your problems then it’s a good thing. It means you should be making more money from your blog!
Shared hosting is fine if you are still learning how to start a blog and there is no need to jump to VPS or dedicated server unless your website traffic warrants that upgrade.
What is a WordPress Theme?
A theme is basically the design template for your blog – it determines what your blog looks like and how it functions.
You can find free and premium themes through the WordPress Theme Directory. Prices for themes range from $0-$100+. I’ve personally purchased several WordPress themes from Themeforest and they are legit.
WordPress Plugins and other tools:
In addition to a theme, there are various plugins and other tools you may want to add to your blog. For example,
- Social media sharing plugins (like Social Warfare) make it easy for visitors to share your content on their favorite platforms;
- SEO plugins (like Rankmath) help you optimize your blog posts for search engines, and blog loading speed plugins (like WP Rocket) to speed up your site.
- Security plugins (like Sucuri) help protect your site from hackers.
Prices for WordPress plugins and other tools range from $0-$100+.
Ongoing WordPress Maintenance Costs:
Once your WordPress blog is up and running, there are a few ongoing expenses you’ll need to consider, such as website hosting, domain name renewals, plugin/theme updates, and general maintenance. These costs can range from $50-$100 per year.
So, how much does it cost to start a WordPress blog?
It really depends on your specific needs and budget. If you choose any of the paid options above, you can expect to spend anywhere from $50-$500+ on everything from domain name & hosting to themes, plugins, and ongoing maintenance.
If you are blogging for fun then it may or may not sound like a lot of money to you. However, if you are blogging to make money then it’s a really small price to pay to start an online business. Yes, blogging can be a full time business that can earn you a substantial amount of money.
How Much Money Can I Earn From Starting a Blog?
This is a common question that new bloggers ask. The simple answer is yes; you can earn money from a WordPress blog. Some well established bloggers are earning tens of thousands each month.
How much money you can make really depends on your effort and experience. Assuming you know or will learn the basics of SEO, remember that more blog posts equals more money.
Have you ever heard the phrase “content it king?” It’s still true when it comes to blogging. Google will reward well written original content with better rankings and traffic.
There are several ways to make money from a WordPress blog.
When visitors click on the ads, you will earn money based on the amount of traffic you generate.
Selling Products or Services
If you have something to sell, whether it’s a physical product or digital service, you can set up a simple online store and start generating sales.
WordPress also offers a number of plugins and themes that are designed specifically for eCommerce websites. WooCommerce would be the most popular WordPress plugin for selling your own products and it’s free.
Sponsorships and Affiliates
If you have a popular blog online, you can attract brands who are willing to pay you to promote their products or services on your website.
Alternatively, you can join an affiliate program and earn a commission on every sale that you generate.
These methods take time and effort to start earning any significant income. However, if you are consistent and patient, you can eventually start making money from your WordPress blog.
Just remember that it takes dedication and hard work to succeed in the blogging world.
Track Results and Optimize Your Blog’s performance
WordPress provides powerful tools to help you track your blog’s performance and optimize it for search engines.
- Use the WordPress.com stats system to track page views, referring sites, and other key metrics.
- The WordPress Jetpack pluging also includes various tools to help you optimize your blog, including a Search Engine Optimization tool and social media integration.
- Use Monster Insights for more detailed blog traffic statistics and analysis.
- Use WP Rocket to increase your blogs loading speed. A fast loading site is an important part of SEO.
To get the most out of WordPress, be sure to take advantage of all the features and tools at your disposal.
You can make your WordPress blog into a powerful tool for promoting your business or sharing your ideas with the world with a little effort.
Why Starting a Blog on WordPress is a Great Idea!
WordPress is a popular content management system that enables users to create and manage their websites or blogs easily.
- WordPress is a free-to-use blogging platform.
- Additionally, WordPress is open source so that anyone can contribute to its development. As a result, there is a large community of users and developers who are constantly improving WordPress.
- Another advantage of WordPress is that it is very user-friendly. Even people with no technical skills can easily create a blog or website using WordPress.
- Lastly, WordPress is highly customizable, which means that users can tailor their website or blog to their specific needs and preferences.
WordPress is used by millions of people around the world, including many large organizations, such as The Guardian, Forbes, and The New York Times.
What Are The Best WordPress Alternatives?
If you’re looking for some other CMS than WordPress, there are many other content management systems (CMS) that you can use to set up your blog.
- Some of the most popular CMS platforms include Joomla, Drupal, and Tumblr. Each platform has its own strengths and weaknesses, so be sure to research before choosing one.
- Once you’ve selected a CMS, setting up your blog will be similar to the process outlined above.
- You’ll need to choose a domain name and hosting provider, install the software, and then begin adding content to your site.
- With a little effort, you can have a professional-looking blog up and running.
Are you considering a WordPress alternative? Based on our experience and research, don’t do it. You’ll thank us later.
If you insist on another blogging platform that’s certainly up to you but you’ll likely switch back to WordPress. It’s the easiest to use and is by far the most widely used blogging platform.
How to Promote Your Blog?
Developing a good site can only be done through good content creation. If you want to attract visitors to the blog, then make sure that you advertise it.
Let’s look at some good tips on how you can become a successful blogger.
- Use social media
It is important to create accounts on the “biggest” social networks, such as Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc., if you don’t have one already!
You should add links to your latest blog content and keep using hashtags to connect with followers!
That is good because if you share your link with friends, it increases your traffic automatically.
- Comment on other blogs
Find another blogger in your neighborhood and engage with their content through comments. Use this section as your introduction and make positive comments.
Some will permit you to add links to a site. This will help you to build relationships with them.
- Alert Your Inner Circle
The first few people to learn about your own blog page will be your inner circle. These are family, friends, or colleagues in the field.
Encourage them to become followers, tell them about your new blog, or even just thank them.
Additional resources for bloggers:
If you’re thinking about starting a WordPress blog, there are a few resources that can be helpful.
- First, WordPress.org has an extensive support site that can answer many of your questions once you have your blog setup.
- In addition, there are some great books available on Amazon that can help you get started with WordPress blogging, including “WordPress for Dummies” and “Blogging for Dummies.”
- Finally, don’t forget to check out the WordPress forums. They’re a great place to ask questions and get advice from other successful bloggers.
How to Start a Blog On WordPress? – Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can I start a blog without learning to code?
A: Yes, you don’t need to know any code for a WordPress blog.
The entire platform is built so that anyone can create a beautiful website or start a blog without knowing any code whatsoever.
Q: Can anyone start blogging with WordPress?
A: Yes! Anyone can start a blog using WordPress. You don’t need any special skills or experience. The platform is designed to be user-friendly and easy to use.
Q: What do I need in order to start a WordPress blog?
Q: How long is the process of starting a WordPress blog?
A: If you use a web host with 1-click WordPress installation you can have your blog up and running in minutes.
If your web host doesn’t install WordPress for you, it will typically take about 30 minutes to a few hours to set up and start a blog.
Once you start a blog once, then setting up another blog becomes really easy.
Q: Can I start a blog if I am not a writer?
A: Yes! You don’t need to be a writer to create a blog on WordPress. There are many different types of blogs, such as video blogs, photo blogs, and more.
Also, the more you write, the better you’ll get at the process.
Q: Can I make money from a free WordPress blog?
A: While you can certainly make money from a free blog, it will be much harder to do so. We don’t recommend it.
With free WordPress, you will have limited options for monetization and customization. If you’re serious about money by blogging, we recommend self-hosting WordPress.
Starting a Blog with WordPress – Final Thoughts
Starting a WordPress blog is easy and can be done in just a few steps. It’s also a great way to establish yourself as an expert in your field.
By following this guide, you’ll be up and running in no time! We hope you take advantage of all that WordPress offers and use it to share your voice with the world.
Visit BlueHost or another one of our recommended web hosts and start your blog today. Happy blogging!
Still, have questions about how to start a blog on WordPress? Leave them in the comments below, and we’ll be happy to answer them!
And be sure to sign up for our email list to get exclusive blogging tips, tricks, and resources delivered straight to your inbox! We hope this article has helped you learn how to start a blog with WordPress.